Friday, January 05, 2007

Virtual Console Cautions

I am not usually one to push my opinions on other people - (unless of course when referring to the ever-touchy Media Center vs MythTV debate) - however, I do have some advice for my fellow Wii owners concerning the virtual console on our beloved Nintendo Wii:

Wii Points (used to buy virtual console games) are not free, they come at a price: 2000 points for $20 US. Add exchange, provincial and federal taxes - and you are getting close to 30 big ones.

Typically, judging from what Nintendo has offered us so far, games range from 500 - 1500 points. So that $30 can be burned up quite quickly in buying just two games. I'm not a cheap-o, I just want to remind you that many of these games you probably already own (Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros). If you stop and think before buying, you might remember that you can save yourself some cash for future Wii releases if you just take out that old NES, dust it off, and blow cartridge for five minutes.

Thank you - that is all.

2 comments:

iBenoit said...

I have found out that it's cheaper to buy Wii points directly from the Shopping channel.

You save on the canadian to US exchange rate and on the taxes... I haven't made the calculations but I know it's cheaper than buying a points card in a retail store.

iBenoit said...

I couldn't resist and did buy Super Mario Bros via the Shopping channel.

I know I own the cart and have the rom but I had to have it on the Wii. It's beautiful on the plasma.

I wonder if they will ever release Gameboy Advance games via the Wii shopping channel. Some are pretty cool looking.